HOUSTON – (November 19, 2014) – Everyone knows that Black Friday is always one of the year’s busiest days for retailers, but did you know it is one of the nation’s busiest days for plumbers, too?
John Moore Services, Houston’s largest family-owned home repair services company, explains that year after year there is a major surge of plumbing calls on Black Friday in the aftermath of all that holiday food preparation and guest entertaining.
“Every Black Friday we see a dramatic influx of repair calls, ranging anywhere from toilet clogs to broken garbage disposals and much more,” said Joe Bany, senior manager at John Moore Services, a third generation Master Plumber with over 20 years of experience. “We know the holidays can be stressful, so we are trying to share a few helpful pre-holiday plumbing tips in hopes area homeowners can avoid problems afterward.”
John Moore Services has five great tips to avoid the common plumbing issues that can clog up your holiday plans:
- Avoid improper garbage disposal usage:
- · Stuff your turkey, NOT your garbage disposal. Do not fill it completely.
- · Never place grease, oil or fatty products down your disposal or drain.
- · Avoid putting turkey bones and fibrous veggies in the disposal; they can splinter and wrap around the mechanism.
- Use a sink strainer to prevent food and/or utensils from going down the drain.
- Make sure all food scraps are cleared off plates before rinsing them in your sink or dishwasher. Excess food can clog drains and back up dishwasher drainage.
- Never flush anything down the toilet that is not human waste or toilet paper.
- If hosting guests during the holiday season, wait 15 minutes between showers so water has ample time to drain.
By following these five simple suggestions, consumers can help avoid additional stress and costs.
For more information about John Moore Services or to schedule an appointment, call 713-720-2525 or visit www.johnmoreservices.com.