- 1 beef top sirloin steak (3/4 inch thick and 1 pound)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons steak sauce
- 2 ounces sliced reduced-fat Swiss cheese, cut into thin strips
- Preheat broiler. Place steak on a broiler pan; sprinkle with pepper. Broil 4 in. from heat 7 minutes. Meanwhile, mix vinegar and steak sauce.
- Turn steak; drizzle with 1 tablespoon vinegar mixture. Broil just until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 160°), 4-6 minutes.
- Remove steak to a cutting board; let stand 5 minutes. Cut steak into 1/4-in. slices; return to broiler pan, arranging slices close together. Drizzle slices with remaining vinegar mixture; top with cheese. Broil just until cheese is melted, 30-60 seconds.
3 ounces cooked beef with 1/2 ounce cheese: 188 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 116mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat.