• 3 vanilla beans
• 9 cups whole milk
• 2-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
• 16 ounces bittersweet chocolate, divided
• 1/2 cup Nutella
• 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 cup hazelnut liqueur
• 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
• Cinnamon sticks, optional
• Split vanilla beans in half lengthwise. With a sharp knife, scrape the beans to remove the seeds. Set seeds aside; discard the beans.
• In a large saucepan, heat milk and 3/4 cup cream over medium heat just until mixture comes to a simmer. Chop 15 ounces chocolate. In a large heat-proof bowl, combine the chopped chocolate, Nutella, sugars, salt and vanilla seeds. Pour warm milk mixture over chocolate mixture. Let stand for 1 minute.
• Meanwhile, whip remaining cream and shave remaining chocolate. Whisk chocolate mixture until smooth; stir in liqueur. Serve with whipped cream, shaved chocolate and chopped hazelnuts. Garnish with a cinnamon stick if desired.
1/2 cup: 299 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.