FOR THE SAUCE
- 15 ounce pineapple chunks with juice 1 can reserved
- 1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice blend
FOR THE PORK
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 pound pork butt (shoulder) cut into 4 inch to 5-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup reserved pineapple juice pineapple chunks from drained can
- 3 green onions sliced crosswise
- Hawaiian rolls and prepared coleslaw for serving
To Prepare the Sauce
- Open the can of pineapple chunks. Pour out the juice into a small bowl. Set aside the pineapple chunks for later use.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup of the pineapple juice, soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger, chili sauce, and Chinese 5 spice blend. Heat over medium-high heat until the sauce thickens. Set aside.
To Prepare the Pork
- Select the sauté function to heat the Instant Pot inner pot. Add olive oil to coat the bottom of the pot. When the display reads “Hot,” add the pork pieces. Let the pork sit untouched for 3 to 4 minutes and then turn the pieces over to sear the other side. Don’t overload the pot. This might need to be done in batches.
- Press Cancel to turn off the sauté function. Add 1 cup of the reserved pineapple juice to deglaze the bottom of the inner pot, using a wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits.
- Secure the lid, ensuring the valve is turned to the Sealing position. Press the Pressure Cook button and set the time to 60 minutes.
- Once cooking is complete, allow the appliance to natural release for 10 minutes; then turn the valve to the Venting position to release the pressure. When all the pressure is released, carefully remove the lid.
- Using tongs, remove the pork from the pot and place it on a serving platter. Using two forks, shred the pork, removing any large pieces of fat. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Pour the Hawaiian sauce over the shredded pork. Top with pineapple chunks and green onions. Serve the meat with Hawaiian rolls and coleslaw.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2019 https://recipes.instantpot.com