Truvía® Brown Sugar Blend adds just the right amount of sweetness to these decadent, cinnamon-flavored treats. Developed by celebrity chef Marisa Churchill, these cupcakes have 10% fewer calories* and 58% less sugar* than the regular brown sugar-sweetened version. Makes 8 cupcakes.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake (80g) plus 1 Tbsp. (24g) frosting
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1⁄3 cup + 1 Tbsp pureed cooked carrots (either fresh or unsweetened pureed baby carrots)
- 1⁄4 cup melted browned butter
- 2 Tbsp reduced fat milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg white, from a large egg
- 1⁄4 cup Truvía® Brown Sugar Blend
- 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp Truvía® Brown Sugar Blend
- 3 oz reduced-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp melted browned butter, room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 2 oz white chocolate, melted
- 1⁄2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 12 short cinnamon sticks, for garnish (optional)
- 12 star anise pods, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F with a rack in the center position. Line 8 muffin cups with paper liners.
- To prepare the browned butter, place 4 oz. of butter into a small sauce pan. Melt the butter over medium heat. Stir constantly until the butter becomes fragrant and starts to brown. Remove from the heat and transfer to a heat proof bowl. Set aside 2 Tbsp. of the browned butter for the frosting.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt into a small bowl. Stir together the pureed carrots, 1⁄4 cup melted browned butter, milk, and vanilla in another small bowl. Set both bowls aside.
- Using an electric mixer and the whisk attachment, beat the eggs and egg whites on high for several minutes. With the mixer running, gradually add the Truvía®Brown Sugar Blend, a few spoonfuls at a time, pausing briefly between additions. After all of the sugar has been added, continue to mix for another 3 minutes.
- Sift half of the flour over the egg mixture. Use a large spatula to gently fold the flour mixture into the eggs. Fold in all of the carrot mixture, and then sift the remaining flour on top, folding the flour in just until it is incorporated. Scoop the batter into the muffin cups.
- Bake the cupcakes for about 15 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack until the cupcakes are cool, about 2 hours.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the Truvía® Brown Sugar Blend, cream cheese, 2 Tbsp. browned butter, and the salt on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes, until the mixture is smooth. Add the melted chocolate and vanilla; beat for 1 minute longer.
- Spread 1 Tbsp. of frosting on each cupcake with a small spatula or butter knife. While the frosting is still soft, press a cinnamon stick (optional) and a star anise pod (optional) into the top of each cupcake.
- Store any leftover cupcakes at room temperature, loosely wrapped with plastic film, for up to 2 days.
*These cupcakes have 260 calories and 10 grams of sugar per serving compared to the regular brown sugar-sweetened version which have 290 calories and 24 grams of sugar per serving (excluding optional ingredients).
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories260Total Fat15gSaturated Fat9gTrans Fat0gCholesterol90mgSodium150mgTotal Carbohydrate31gDietary Fiber0gSugars10gErythritol6gProtein5gVitamin A25% DVVitamin C0% DVCalcium8% DVIron10% DV