This sticky-sweet apple cinnamon pull-apart bread is so fun to eat (for breakfast or anytime!)
- 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons total)
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 c. whole milk
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 c. packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 tbsp. unslated butter
- 1 Golden Delicious apple
- Caramel sauce and coarse salt
- In a large bowl (or the bowl of an electric mixer), whisk together the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. Place the milk and butter in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan and cook over low heat until the butter melts, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture, then add the eggs and vanilla. With the mixer on low, beat until the flour mixture is moistened. Increase the speed to medium and mix until the dough is smooth, about 6 minutes. Scrape the dough down in the bowl to loosen it, then cover with plastic wrap and a dishtowel. Set the bowl in a warm place and let the dough rise until it doubles in size, about 45 minutes.
- While the dough is rising, line a 4 1/2- by 8 1/2-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving a 3-inch overhang on the long sides. Butter the parchment and the sides of the pan. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter.
- Punch the dough down, then transfer to a lightly floured work surface and roll into a 12- by 18-inch rectangle. If the dough is sticking, sprinkle the underside with a bit more flour. Arrange the dough so the long side is in front of you. Brush the melted butter over the dough, then sprinkle with the brown sugar mixture.
- Core and cut the apple into 1/4-inch pieces. Cut the dough crosswise into 6 even strips. Sprinkle 1 strip with some of the apples, gently pressing them into the dough. Top with another strip of dough and more apples; repeat with the remaining strips of dough and apples. Cut the stack into 6 equal portions. Stand the prepared loaf pan on one of its short sides, and arrange the stacks with cut sides facing out (tucking in any fallen apples). Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the loaf until deep golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes more. Drizzle with caramel sauce and sprinkle with coarse salt, if desired.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2018 www.womansday.com