Flavorful and Soft Gingerbread Cookies
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup water
- Cream shortening and sugar in mixer. Sift flour with salt, soda and spices. Blend flour mixture into creamed mixture alternately with molasses and water. Chill at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut with large 6-8 inch gingerbread men cookie cutters. Lift onto lightly greased cookie sheet with broad spatula.
- Bake above oven center for about 12 minutes or until cookies spring back lightly in center. Do not overcook, they won’t stay soft. Remove from sheets. Cool on wire racks. Makes 10 men 6-8 inches tall.
Hack: If you don’t want to wait for dough to chill, roll between floured parchment paper.
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Assorted food coloring
- In a small bowl, stir together confectioners’ sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
- Divide into separate bowls, and add food colorings to each to desired intensity. Dip cookies, or paint them with a brush.