You will need:
½ cup packed spinach leaves
Pinch of garlic powder
1½ tablespoons shredded
2 tablespoons olive oil
Pinch of salt and pepper
¹⁄3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Scrunch the spinach leaves, garlic powder, and Parmesan in a food processor. Before an adult turns it on, say, “¡Buenos días!” Slowly add the olive oil, and process until the pesto is thick and spreadable. Season with the salt and pepper, and, presto, you have pesto!
3. Crack the eggs and pour them into a mixing bowl without dropping any shells in the bowl. Use a fork to scramble them up.
4. Make a noise like an alarm clock as you lightly spray two 8 by 8-inch pans with nonstick spray. Pour half of the eggs into each pan.
5. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, until thoroughly cooked. Top with the cheddar cheese and melt in the oven for an additional 2 to 4 minutes. Use a rubber spatula to slide the eggs out in one piece.
6. Use a butter knife to spread the pesto on top of the cheddar cheese. Carefully roll the egg up, then slice into 1-inch segments with a clean butter knife.
7. Stick a decorative toothpick into each egg roll-up. Eggs-tra helpings, please!
Recipe is from Bean Appetit: Hip and Healthy Ways to Happy Tummies, by Shannon Payette Seip and Kelly Parthen, Andrews McMeel Publishing.