Complete Children’s Cookbook Recipe: Savory Muffins (pages 182-183)
Cheese and zucchini give these savory muffins a tasty flavor. They make a great midmorning snack, or pack one in a school lunch!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 25 mins
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• 1 tbsp sugar
• 1 tsp salt
• ½ tsp ground black papper
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 2/3 cup milk
• 6 tbsp lightly salted butter, melted
• 2x 6-hole or 12-hole muffin pan
• 12 paper liners
• Large mixing bowl
• Metal spoon
• Fork or whisk
• Oven mitts
• Cooling rack
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a muffin pan with 12 paper liners. Trim the ends off the zucchini and grate them coarsely. Grate the cheese.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Stir in the sugar, salt, and pepper with a metal spoon until they are thoroughly combined.
3. Add most of the grated cheese (but save a little to sprinkle on top) and grated zucchini. Using the metal spoon, mix well to combine all the ingredients.
4. In a pitcher, whisk the eggs, milk, and butter with a fork or whisk. Pour them into the large mixing bowl and stir until just combined. The batter should be lumpy.
5. Using the metal spoon, divide the mixture equally among the 12 paper liners and sprinkle each one with the remaining grated cheese.
6. Place the muffins in the center of the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until risen, golden, and firm. Let cool on a cooling rack before serving them warm or cold.
To make spinach and cheese muffins, replace the grated zucchini with 6oz (180g) chopped baby spinach leaves in step 3.
Excerpted from Cooking Step by Step, reprinted by permission of DK, a division of Penguin Random House LLC. Copyright © 2018
images: © Dorling Kindersley: Dave King, 2018.