Prep time: 30 min
Bake time: 30-45 min
Try this on your friends! Give them a brownie and ask them how they like it. After they tell you how great it tastes, tell them that they’re made out of black beans! They’ll never believe you! They taste like a double-chocolate chunk brownie. The beans cook in such a way that gives the brownie a chocolate chunk look and feel. Some even think the chunks are nuts.
½ cup coconut milk
4 Tbsp. coconut oil (melted)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
½ cup gluten-free flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup coconut or honey crystals
½ tsp. stevia
Dash sea salt
- Heat oven to 350º F.
- In two medium bowls, mix dry and wet ingredients separately in the order listed above.
- In large bowl, mix the dry and wet mixtures together. More coconut milk may to be added depending on the flour you use. Gluten-free alternatives tend to be heavier and require more liquids. With coconut flour, for instance, you’ll want to use about ¾ cup milk to achieve that perfect brownie-batter consistency.
- Pour into 8×8 greased baking pan. (Try greasing it with coconut oil. Works great and adds a nice flavor).
- Cook for 30 – 45 minutes depending on the flour you use. Test with a toothpick and make sure it comes out clean.
- Cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Store any extra in the refrigerator.
• If your dietary restrictions prevent cocoa, use carob powder instead. Same measurements apply.
• Sometimes I like some grated coconut flakes or walnuts in my brownies. If you add some dry ingredients you may need to add a little extra coconut oil and milk. Don’t go overboard. A little goes a long way.
• Be creative! Have fun!