What to See & Do
Your most consequential decision will be lodging. As a mother and frequent traveler, I found where I stayed, Ocean Club Resorts (comprised of Ocean Club & Ocean Club West, separated by a mile), to be a smart choice for families. This is why:
- The Caribbean-styled, ocean-facing sister resorts offer generous condo layouts perfect for families (1-3 bedroom suites). Complimentary wifi is available throughout the property. Best of all, a cheerful, responsive staff is available to help answer all your questions.
- The roomy screened-in porches are wonderful when quiet downtime out of the sun is needed but the desire to see and smell the ocean remains— a perfect compromise!
- Depending on the layout that’s right for your family, you’ll find the island-themed décor, fully outfitted kitchens, washer/dryer, eclectic assembly of books and movies encasing your cable TV, all to your liking. Daily, dependable housekeeping will refresh your beach towel supply and tidy up.
- Ocean Club Resorts touts, “Stay At One, Play At Both,” meaning that you can freely indulge in the sister resort’s amenities. A free shuttle connects the resorts, or perhaps you’ll want to stroll the beach from one resort to the other, stopping to cool off in the water along the way.
- Proximity to the local IGA grocery and the resorts’ convenience store “Sand Castles”, means you’ll be able to enjoy eating in. Plus, pool-side grills for barbequing stand ready if burgers are on the menu.
- Complimentary amenities for children include: cribs/highchairs, baby monitors, strollers and beach toys. For a fee, babysitting is available.
- The lending library for guests in the lobby includes a variety of DVD titles, perfect for easy after-dinner movie entertainment before tucking tired kids (and yourselves) in bed to be ready for another brilliant day on the beach.
Free activities, courtesy of Ocean Club Resorts
- As a family, the resorts’ complimentary paddle-boards, kayaks, bikes and tennis courts are no small considerations. It greatly eases the pocketbook and allows you to respond to the whims of kids.
- With the water’s transparency and stillness, snorkeling is at your fingertips, offering fun, free adventure right off the beach, perfect for beginner snorkelers.
- With their littlest guests in mind, the resort creatively conceived “Seafari”, a free exploration game to help kids connect with the island environment.
Dining at Ocean Club Resorts and beyond
- Ocean Club’s casual open-air Cabana Bar & Restaurant is especially lively on Monday evenings when live music fills the air. Let the kids loose to dance as day turns to night, a great way to release any remaining energy!
- For fine dining, reserve a breezy garden table at Opus Restaurant or the ocean-facing Solana Restaurant (west location), the latter allowing you to indulge in fine Japanese cuisine (amazing sashimi and sushi await!). *Kiddie menus are available at all resort restaurants.
- Get out and join the island community at the Fish Fry on Thursdays, 5-9:30p, for street market festivities, packed with local food and craft vendors. Live music begins at 7p.
By Kathryn Streeter